Monday, February 13, 2017

Vampire's Day Soiree 2017: The First Hunt

It's mid-February and once again, a very special day has arrived, and it's one that I always look forward to. No, I'm not talking about Valentine's Day. Instead, I'm referring to The Vampire's Day Soiree, an event which has been hosted by my blogger friend, Holly Strange, for six years now.

Since Ms. Holly liked the description of the event I used in my post last year, I hope that neither she nor of my readers will mind me plagiarizing my own material by adding it here once again:

"The Vampire's Day Soiree always takes place on Valentine's Day as an alternative for those of us with a darker outlook on things. Besides, what could possibly be more romantic than an encounter with the right vampire? No doubt, vampires are dangerous, blood-thirsty creatures, but they are also sensual and romantic."

If you'd like to participate in this event, all you have to do is follow this link to Holly's Horrorland and follow the simple instructions. Then, you write something on the topic of vampires on your own blog and link back to Holly's site. That's all there is to it.

As always, I like to celebrate The Vampire's Day Soiree by including a few paragraphs from one of my short stories. If I remember correctly, last year I took an excerpt from a piece called Horror in the Tunnel. At the time, I explained that the story would been included in my next book. For better or worse, I tend to be a slow writer and even my short pieces seem to take me longer to finish than they ought to. I also have far too many distractions. So, as I add something today from a newer piece of fiction called A Fall From Grace: The First Hunt, I'd like to say that I'm close to beginning publication on this next book. I refer you to the preceding post where I discussed my plans for the next publication. So, if you find today's entry a bit of a cliff hanger, please keep in mind that I hope to have my next collection of short stories available within a couple more months; that is, barring any unexpected complications. So then, and without further ado, here is my entry from The First Hunt, which incidentally, is the third in my A Fall From Grace series:

Suddenly, she averted her gaze and his vision ended abruptly, bringing her victim back to reality.
“Ugh!” He shouted, confused by the sudden cut off from the titillating experience. “Wh....what happened? Why don't ya do what ya want to and get it over with?”
“Because I got what I wanted,” she responded. “You just damned your god and everything you've ever stood for. I have now prepared you to enter the place that lies beyond the gates of Hell.”
Canton realized the truthfulness of what she spoke. He had indeed done as she'd said.
“You tricked me with all that sexy stuff,” he informed her. “You tricked me!”
Lady Andrea laughed heartily before responding. “Do you really believe that I'd want to provide you with pleasure after you smashed my Jessie's head with a rock, killing him? No, there is another who will have the pleasure of draining you of your life's essence, and I will lead you to him.”
She began walking in his direction; the self-confidant smile and hungry expression never disappearing from her face. The frightened man dropped his fishing tackle and moved quickly in the direction of the bayou, screaming as he ran. “Help! Somebody help me!”
Eddie Canton's gait outpaced his limited field of vision. More than once he blindly stumbled over the underbrush, only to quickly right himself and continue on toward the bayou.
Moving through the darkness, Eddie could hear voices calling to him from the direction of the camp. “Over here,” he shouted with a shortness of breath. “Over here!”
The thick woods abruptly opened up before him, revealing the same location where he had spent the last couple of hours fishing. As Eddie rushed toward the water's edge, a dark figure, as if from out of nowhere, took position directly in front of him, blocking his path. The dim light of the lantern shone upon the figure's pale features, and the panic-stricken man gasped in sheer horror.
“Je....Jessie? Is that you?”
The strange figure inched closer to him as he spoke. It's Jess of the House of the Crescent Moon now, Eddie. Are you surprised to see me?”
Canton attempted moving backward, but his escape was blocked by the woman.
“How can this be?” Eddie asked. “You're ….”
“Dead?” Jess responded. “Indeed I am; and yet, I'm standing before you. Pray to your god,” Jess continued, “for you too are about to join the ranks of the deceased.”
 
 Well, there you have it; my contribution to this year's event. Please make sure to visit Holly's Horrorland in order to check out lots more vampire material. Enjoy!

Finally, I'd like to extend my thanks to Ms. Holly for once again hosting this unique event on her blog and website. 



   

17 comments:

  1. Loving the fragment of your story, will you be publishing it on Kindle or in print form?

    Happy Vamp Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane K! My book will be in both print and ebook formats, including Kindle.

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a good creepy chase scene for a Vampire party. Great fun :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh... That ending works perfectly! Of course, continuing the story is a delectable black cherry on top!! But, reading it as is, made me think of Count Yorga films from the seventies (How I love a seventies vampire flick! *happy sigh*), which always ended with a cliffhanger freeze-frame.

    Happy Vampire's Day, Nightwind! ♥



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Emma, the story has a surprise ending. But yes, what you read is quite close to the end.

      And a Happy Vampire's Day to you as well!

      Delete
  4. A chase that leads towards fanged discoveries always finds a place in my bookish heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fanged discoveries: I really do like that terminology. Plus, the guy really deserves what's coming to him.

      Delete
  5. I'll have to look at at your books as they seem rather visual descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make my stories visually descriptive because that's what I always liked as a kid. Still, some say that I get a bit too descriptive, so it's a matter of what a person likes, I guess.

      Delete
  6. *starts singing* Somebody's gonna get it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. For sure, but there is an unexpected twist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your description deserved repeating. It's perfect! So is that excerpt from your sweet revenge story. Thanks for attending the Soiree again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And thank you for hosting it again, Holly! I'm already looking forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww, poor Eddie! Nah, not really - obviously I'm on the vampire's side. lol

    Really looking forward to your next book, Nightwind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Eddie indeed! The last story is finished and Is in the editing phase. The process of publishing begins soon. Hopefully, the publishing process will be easier this time.

      Delete