Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Exorcism of Emily Rose: A Review

As a writer, I ordinarily have no inclinations toward writing movie reviews. As a matter of fact, I don't believe that I'm very good at it. Nevertheless, I saw a horror movie last weekend that really did it for me. As a matter of fact, The Exorcism of Emily Rose is the first flick that I've seen in a long time that actually caused real chills to run down my spine. For those who have not seen it, I'd like to tell you a little about it; hopefully, enough to entice you into checking it out.

The film, which is essentially a courtroom drama, is based upon a real-life case concerning a German Catholic woman named Anneliese Michel, who underwent multiple rituals of exorcism from 1975 until her death in 1976. In the film Father Richard Moore (Tom Wilkinson), a Catholic priest, faces a charge of negligent homicide after performing an exorcism ritual for 19 year-old Emily Rose, who died after the experience.  He is defended by an aspiring attorney named Erin Bruer (Laura Linney), who also happens to be agnostic.

The story is told mainly through courtroom testimony and flashbacks during which the realities of young Emily's demonic possession and Father Moore's efforts are revealed. Additionally, somewhat chilling occurrences taking place inside her own home during the time of the courtroom proceedings inspire the defense attorney, who feels she is losing the case, to change tactics.

For me, the special effects in this film ranged from intriguing to believable with some of the most spine-tingling scenes taking place during the exorcism ritual.

While I watch a good number of horror movies, very few actually cause my spine to tingle with fear; this one did. For that reason, I recommend picking a nice cold night, shutting the lights off and watching this one. Since I enjoyed this one so much I'd like to ask, have any of you readers watched enjoyed any good horror flicks lately; one that really induces shock or fear?

I'm including the theatrical trailer below; just to entice you all a bit more.



   


 

3 comments:

  1. Hey this is Ally from Tims. I really like your site! Before I forget, I accidentally told you wrong. Taylor's blog is taylorhunter.blog.com. It was great talking with you earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many movies based off of this strange story. I've heard several people count this one among the scariest they've seen. Not long ago, unable to remember the title, I pulled up a movie on Netflix that sounded like the same story line called "Requiem". Turned out to be a German film that takes a more skeptical approach to the story, but still leaves questions open as to what really happened. Rather than dealing with the events surrounding her death and the exorcisms themselves, it concentrates more on the events leading up to them, mainly her college life. It was pretty good, and would probably be an interesting contrast to this film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll put "Requiem" on my Netflix Queue.

    ReplyDelete