Thursday, October 24, 2019

Vintage Halloween Pictures: 2019

All Hallows Eve is once again drawing near, and is now only one week away. That said, it's time for me to celebrate by keeping my own tradition of posting and honoring vintage Halloween art from years gone by. Although some of the following photos might pre-date anyone still living, those of us who are a bit older can likely, hearken back to a time when this type of art was still available for us to enjoy. Being a traditionalist about Halloween, I always enjoy bringing back these memories from Halloweens gone by; especially, those of my childhood. So then, Let's jump right into it. 






I don't believe I've ever seen this one before, but I like it. Not only does the witch look truly wicked and evil, but to me, she resembles Nosferatu, the vampire. The broomstick, of course, is right by her side as is her black cat, which looks equally sinister. The demons in the background only serve to further promote her credentials as a witch. Jack O' Lanterns are always welcome.











Not all of these apples seem happy about going into the bobbing tub, but into it they must go. The pumpkin doesn't seem to mind.

Bobbing for apples used to be a popular Halloween tradition. I remember doing it once, as a very young child. I also remember not being very successful in my efforts, as the participants had to attempt to bite into a an apple that was floating and bringing it up without one's hands. It was a difficult task indeed.







This one is just fun. Again, we have a black cat leading the Jack O' Lanterns in song while some bats are flying around. We can't forget the bats, can we?














Back in the day, All Hallows Eve wouldn't be complete without ghosts. At the time, they seemed to be the essence of the whole thing. I can clearly remember going trick or treating as a ghost. The costume was easy. You simply had Mom make holes in the middle of an old bed sheet for eyes and mouth. In this piece there is another ghoulish entity present, but judging from the hat, it could be a witch. Up in a tree branch is an owl. If you look closely, you can see its big, yellow eyes. 










As a final offering...well, what can I say? I just love this one. We have a pumpkin man looking on as a ghoul, dressed like the Grim Reaper, pulls a tombstone-like marker up from under the ground. A black cat looks on as does a witch. An owl is perched on the fencing while a ghost arrives on the scene. Bats hover in the background. In other words, this one pretty much has it all. It encapsulates the essence of Halloween; at least, what Halloween used to be. 

Still, in spite of the cultural changes and things that kids want to dress up as, is it not when the veil between the worlds is at its thinnest? Nothing can change that. 





A Happy Halloween to all the readers of and visitors to The Gothic Embrace!

2 comments:

  1. I am heartily ashamed of myself ... I totally forgot to check back at Hallowe'en to look for this post, even after you said you were going to write it! :(

    I think the last two are my favourites ... back in the good old days when nobody dressed up as a superhero. Bluck. Bring back the traditional costumes, I say! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Halloween. Super heroes just don't do it for me; not that I dress up anymore or anything. Thanks for checking in, Insomniac!

      Delete