Friday, July 18, 2014

The Demise of a Venue

On Friday, May 23 Darkness Resurrected Dance Night celebrated its first anniversary with its first live show featuring Tulsa's Axis and Kansas City's Razorwire Halo. Unfortunately, that event wasn't attended as well as one would hope. More likely than not, this was because that Friday signified the beginning of Memorial Day Weekend, a time when Fayetteville's population is temporarily reduced by close to half, with lots of local folks heading out of town to camp, float the rivers, or whatever.

Little did we know that night that our anniversary celebration would be the last Darkness Resurrected event to take place at The Stolen Glass, a venue which struck me as a perfect fit for Northwest Arkansas' Goth community. On June 30 The Stolen Glass closed its doors forever. No one seems to know why, but such things are not exactly unusual around here; especially, as regards smaller clubs.

Still, this was a venue with a stage large enough to accommodate whatever a promoter wanted to book there, whether a band or deejays with lots of equipment. The Glass had a decent dance floor, a free pool table and sometimes sold test-tube shots for a dollar each.  I'll definitely miss those sweet but potent drinks. I also suspect that booking an event at the venue was a reasonably priced affair, due to its location outside the main entertainment district. I don't know that for sure though.

Now the question is, where do we go from here? I do know that the Ravenwood Gothic Community had been planning to book its annual reunion at The Stolen Glass as well. Now reunion promoters are looking for an alternative venue at which to hold the event. I can think of some possibilities, but wouldn't be surprised if a few of them might be considerably more expensive than we've been used to. Others might be more comparable to what we've been used to.

So, that's where we are this summer. As for me, I'm just hoping that something will eventually work out and that we'll find a new venue. I'd kind of gotten used to attending our Darkness Resurrected Dance Nights every few months or so. And even though I can't say that The Stolen Glass was a regular hangout, it was close to perfect in accommodating our needs. Farewell Stolen Glass. Thanks for the good times. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh no... that's such a shame, Nightwind. I sure hope your organizers find someplace new for your events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Insomniac. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  2. Around where I live clubs seem to change venues all too quickly and also venues shut down, only to be bought by someone else and reopen whether in a similar guise or completely unsuitable for our needs. To add to the confusion a regular monthly club promoter retired but thankfully another took over the night. I think what I am trying to say is don`t despair we have on old saying over here “As one door closes, another one opens” I hope that is the case for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, App'y. I have been keeping an eye on the old venue and waiting for signs that something else might move in there. This particular place has had many incarnations, such as living quarter, vegan restaurant and nightclub. Maybe it will re-open as a club. That would be the best possible outcome. If not, we'll find something else eventually.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a shame! I hope that an alternative is out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Something will turn up eventually. If not, I guess I'll just revert back to being an internet goth.

      Delete