Monday, August 13, 2012

Creepy Doll Haunts

As I've mentioned before, I'm quite interested in creepy dolls and strongly feel that keeping company with them not only helps create a wonderfully macabre ambiance around the home, but also allows the enthusiast to keep company with marionettes that visibly represent the darkness that we embrace. As far as I'm concerned, they're just plain fun to have around and they make great conversation pieces.

There are quite a few commercially produced specimens on the market today, which include Mezco Toyz' Living Dead Dolls and Mattel's Monster High Dolls. While I don't consider the latter to be particularly dark or Gothic, they are enjoying a considerable amount of popularity at the moment.

It's not the commercial or popular specimens that I wish to discuss in this article though; instead, I'd like to highlight some amazing artists who hand craft their grotesque creations, which they make available for purchase and also some creepy-doll collectors who fill their web pages with some amazing galleries. At the very least, you the reader might get a chuckle from browsing through photos of these unusual specimens. On the other hand, your dark soul just might cause you to fall in love with an artist's one-of-a-kind creation, in which case you might not be able to resist ordering the object of your affection and having her/him delivered right to your home. In any event, a short list of artists, collectors and their web pages follows. I hope you'll enjoy checking out these creepy-doll haunts as much as I have.

The Morbid Dollhouse: Since 2006 artist Jade Perez, of Edmonton, Alberta, has been creating a yearly gallery filled with spooking-looking and tormented personalities--characters that have provided me with a good laugh at times when I most need it. Most of Ms. Perez' creations are one of a kind, but she is open to taking requests and doing remakes. All of her galleries and contact information are available at Morbid Dollhouse
website.  The accompanying photo is an example of the artist's craftsmanship.
Shelter for Misfit Dolls: Home of Little Dead Gyrl
Little Dead Gyrl explains the purpose of the Shelter for Misfit Dolls as "a tribute to Weird Grll Artists who love to make weird creepy dolls." She goes on to describe it as "a shelter for misfit dolls, so they will at least have an orphanage to live in while they are waiting for new parents." Offered on her site are plenty of galleries featuring both creepy orphans and her own personal collection. Unfortunately, Little Dead Gyrl's website seems to have been inactive for quite some time. Contact information is still provided on the ordering page however, and if the shelter is no longer functioning you can still take a look around through the galleries and even tour a Victorian Doll House.
Holly's Creepy Dollies:
The last update on this website dates back to the spring of 2006; so as with the previous entry, there's no guaranteeing that Holly is still in business; especially, since she mentions that writing is her primary interest. Still, contact and payment information is still available and visiting her galleries alone is definitely worth the time.I especially enjoyed browsing through her rag doll gallery and finding both a Two Headed Freak Gothy Rag Doll and another called the Vampire Vengeance doll. Holly's Creepy Dollies is a great place to visit. 
Susan's Custom Creepy Dolls:
Susan is a self-described ex-mortician and taxidermist who specializes in "artistically macabre creations." Susan explains on her homepage that she will create whatever type of figurine a customer desires based upon a picture or description. Her gallery of previous creations includes a neat Psycho Clown Doll and even an Autopsy Figurine. A contact email address is provided on the main page.
Creepy Art Dolls of Christie Bastert:
I first became aware of Christie Bastert's work when the Gothic Tea Society ran a story about a creepy doll exhibit at Hollywood's Museum of Death back in 2009. Although Ms. Bastert, also from Southern California, specializes in what she calls "one of a kind horror art dolls," she creates on the lighter side of things as well. Still, she seems to delight in the creation of clown and vampire dolls, zombies and mourning dolls. Contact information is provided and as far as I know, Christie Bastert is actively creating and selling.
As I mentioned earlier, some of the above mentioned creepy doll haunts may now be inactive and available for viewing only. Others I'm quite sure are open for business. Either way, potential buyers might want to consider contacting the artist before making any purchases.  

   

       

                

7 comments:

  1. I actually have a love/hate relationship with dolls. I have several Living Dead Dolls, and it seems like when the doll is made to be creepy, it don't bother me. However, you know those Victorian style porcelain dolls with the glass eyes? I will not enter a room if one is visible. One of my weird quicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually dolls can scare me as much as clowns do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I am not the biggest fan of dolls, I do think many of pretty, I am just not one for collecting them. Great post! - Midi

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just wanna thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice article I've ever seen i like it i learn something today...

    Indian Artisan & Arts and Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

    life size Pig statues for sale & Large Prehistoric Resin Statues For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it

    life size horse statues for sale & fiberglass Dog Statues for sale

    ReplyDelete